Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)I recently purchased one of these units, and when it came in I knew it was a winner. I immediately ordered a second one as they were on sale as I understood they were being discontinued.
My other speakers are two sets of FBT's and a pair of SA1521 Mackies. I'm not sure how the Yamaha compares to these, but tonight I found myself standing in front of one of them really liking what I heard! I connected my Iphone to the twin RCA's on the mixer and without trying to figure out how to route the signal I immediately had music filling the room. I was impressed!
I think the 250M setup of one speaker with the associated amplified mixer mounted on the back of the speaker is akin to 1/2 of their 500 model...this system has one 250 watt speaker vs. two with the 500 series. I purchased both of the 250M's for less than the 500 system.
The idea behind the 250M is you have a single speaker which will generate a mono signal (as you have only one speaker) or you can connect another powered speaker and you can get stereo (or two mono signals, etc.) There is one specific 1/4 jack on the mixer that you connect to the 1/4 jack on the speaker. The 4 ohm 250 watt speaker is passive (non-amplified) unless it's connected to the amplified mixer, which is mounted on the rear of the speaker or can be removed and used elsewhere.
One of the advantages is I can see where this passive speaker can be used with other amplifiers (all my other speakers are active) but one must take into account it's a 4 ohm speaker vs. an 8 ohm, and this may be a greater issue if you planned on using it as a passive speaker with something like a home receiver. Also at times I'm combining my systems with others, such as a very large event. If we need monitors and we only have an amplified source, these Yamaha's would probably fill the need.
The mixer on the back is mounted with two screws and it's essentially a no-frills mixer with a no-frills owner's manual (which you can see online). Well, the mixer isn't exactly no frills as it has effects but no mid-range EQ and probably some other stuff I haven't discovered as yet). The owner's manual consists of a large fold-out which has the specs, wiring diagrams, etc. and I think they realize you'll figure it out as the layout is fairly simple. There is no mid-range and the effects are probably more basic than one would expect with a separate rack unit...but then again most folks may not notice.
What I like most about the system is it's simple. I normally haul a 16 foot trailer to places to setup. I carry or roll in a rack, cable, stands, have wireless mics, etc. etc. (If you have the T shirt you know what I mean). It usually takes me 45-90 minutes to be running sound at most locations. With this small system I can have sound in a room going in under 5. The system is just that quick and just that easy. Just carry in one thing (the speaker with the amp / mixer on the back) plug in a microphone and you're in business. And, if you have to leave it somewhere and return for it, you can feel secure in it's about as easy to operate as a television and it's well built in the event the unthinkable happens.
I don't know how the sound compares to my other speakers, but I really like what I've heard so far and I'll bet it will see a good bit of use. I know it's going to be much easier to carry and setup than a traditional system and it will provide basic sound reinforcement, etc. or integrated in a larger configuration with my other gear.
Also I normally run my systems with the usual EQ, Compressor / Gate, configuration in a rack or with a DBX driverack (which I really like). The Yamaha's won't have these systems as it will be employed without a rack, but depending upon the application folks probably won't notice.
I'm surprised there's only one other review on this unit. I'm writing this as I couldn't find much information on it and if you're like me you like to do some research before making a purchase. With this system I didn't. I stepped out a bit on faith, hoping the Yamaha name would stand for good equipment...and it does. I'm impressed with this system and I can highly recommend it if you're looking for a quick, easy and lightweight system rather than lugging around a whole lot of gear.
MrGadget
Click Here to see more reviews about: Yamaha STAGEPAS 250M Portable PA System and Keyboard Amp
The STAGEPAS 250M is the largest single speaker model in the STAGEPAS line from Yamaha. It was designed to give quality minded musicians, performers, speakers and other presenters a solution for their smaller performances, without sacrificing high fidelity and professional appearance. The mixer of the STAGEPAS 250Malso contains a 250-watt digital power amplifier, and it resides in the back ofthe loudspeaker that completes the system. This mixer has 10 total inputs. 2 are mono and can accept either microphone or line level instruments, and there are four stereo inputs to accept line level stereo sources like keyboards or CD players. Digital reverb is included onboard the mixer along with EQ or tone controls. In addition to providing simple operation, the mixer will operate installed in the speaker cabinet, out on a table or on a microphone stand with the optional adapter. Simple quarter turn fasteners allow easy removal and replacement with a coin.. The loudspeaker system offers a 10" long travel woofer and 1" titanium high frequency driver assuring full fidelity sound. At around 25 lbs, this system plays well beyond its size with remarkable fidelity.
Click here for more information about Yamaha STAGEPAS 250M Portable PA System and Keyboard Amp
0 comments:
Post a Comment