Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)I am a beginning keyboard player, but wanted to get rid of my Audigy 2 sound card and move up to a USB MIDI interface. I decided to get something with room to grow, so I got this.
First, the good. This unit does NOT require any extra drivers (no CD in the package). Some other low-cost MIDI interfaces require special drivers to load the firmware into the interface RAM when it is plugged in (making working with Linux harder). No such hassles here, just plug-n-play. This box works great in XP and in Linux (Ubuntu 8.10 with Jack and Rosegarden installed). It should work great with Apple too, but I don't have one to test it. I tested my Korg X5D patch software under XP on ports 1 and 4, and it worked perfectly, so sysex seems to be OK (I did update the firmware first).
Now, for the bad. For some reason, they put 1 input and 3 outputs on the back, and 3 inputs and 1 output on the front. I have one keyboard and one drum machine, and I was hoping to have all cables hanging out the back, but no such luck here. Everything is still functional, but cable routing is a little less convenient. The only other problem that I encountered is that when using Winamp to play MIDI files, it will only send data to port 1, even if I select another port as the default MIDI output under the control panel sound settings. However, VSThost and my Korg programming software (as well as Rosegarden and Jack under Linux) can select the proper port perfectly, so I will chalk this problem as being a Windows bug, and in no way the fault of this interface.
Overall, a nice little box that I am very pleased with.
Click Here to see more reviews about: Tapco by Mackie Link MIDI 4x4 Computer Interface
The Link.MIDI 4x4 connects multiple MIDI devices to a Mac or PC via a common USB cable, and allows for MIDI control of sound modules from software or software-based instruments.
Click here for more information about Tapco by Mackie Link MIDI 4x4 Computer Interface
0 comments:
Post a Comment