Average Reviews:
(More customer reviews)This is a truly amazing sampler/sequencer from Korg. I am new to the world of sequencers but wanted to introduce them into my music, and having looked around I decided to go with this one. For a start off, well, it looks fantastic. Beautifully designed with an easy-to-use interface. Kick off a track with a high BPM to see this thing light up like a Christmas tree. The vacuum tubes are on full display also- framed inside a little window at the top of the sampler. It is very simple to use, and even though I am new to all this and somewhat of a technophobe, I was creating samples in no time. I have to admit to not having completely come to grips with what this thing can do, but I'm having a good time learning.
I opted for the Korg model after falling in love with the KP3 (Kaoss Pad 3) and splased out on both the ESX1 and the EMX1. I have heard people ask which one is best, but you really can't compare the two. They both look similar (though the ESX1 is red, the EMX1 is blue) and look beautiful beside each other, but if you can on only afford one then it is best to decide what it is that you want to use it for. If you're more interested in creating beats/ dance music, then go for the EMX1, which is a sequencer/ synth. It has lots of in-built synth sounds for you to play about with and is perfect for creating dance music in no time at all. The ESX1 on the other hand is to my mind more of a complimentary piece of kit. Load it with samples to create some really interesting rhythms, loops and beats. It has a microphone input if you wish to record yourself doing a bit of beatboxing and then messing around with it. Or you can record from off your ipod, CD player and remix existing tracks.
If I had to have a criticism of the ESX1 it is that samples rarely playback at the volume at which you recorded them, especially when using a microphone. This means that you have to increase the volume quite a bit in order to hear them back properly, and when you do this there is a lot of hiss from the machine. This can be dealt with with a few turns of the knobs, but I have nearly blown my eardrums out a few times using headphones with it, as the sound is very temperamental. I suggest using it at a low-level whilst you sort through the particular samples you wish to use for a desired track. This is obviously because I'm a novice at this kind of thing- a seasoned professional would not make such mistakes.
The synth sounds on the EMX1 are fantastic. It does have piano, guitar sounds, but in truth they sound quite poor. It is those more dance-oriented synth sounds that impress. You can use five synth parts in a track on the EMX1, and 2 on the ESX1. Again, it all comes down to preference. What do you require more from your sequencer? I will be honest and say that I haven't quite managed to produce anything that I'm particularly proud of yet with either of these machines. But I have not had them long and the fun is in exploring the different things that you can do with such fantastic pieces of kit. I have seen some examples online though of people making fantastic music with one machine alone. I aspire to do the same in time. We'll see...
The kind of music I play means that I am more likely to plug in the ESX1 than the EMX1. I just like cutting up bits of audio and pasting them back together to create a strange sound collage. I used to have to spend hours on Audacity manually chopping up the audio, changing the pitch and temp, etc. Now I can do it with a press of a button. If you are looking at introducing a new bit of kit to your set-up, then you really should consider one of these things, if not both of them.
Click Here to see more reviews about: Korg EMX1 Electribe MX Music Production Station
The Electribe series of Dance Tools defined a new standard, combining unique sound generation, pattern based programming, and intuitive knob-based interfaces. Thousands of forward-thinking musicians, DJs and producers continue to use them to create exciting and groundbreaking music.The ELECTRIBE MX represents a new generation of Electribes - powerful dance music products that cover everything from laying down stunning tracks to creating exhilarating live performances. The EMX-1 comes housed in a sleek, rugged metal chassis. The new backlit LCD provides a wealth of information during programming or performance. The intuitive step-time/realtime interface has been enhanced with a new Ribbon and Slider control. Effects, Motion Sequencing, and Pattern length have all been expanded. A brand-new filter lets you chose Low Pass, High Pass, Band Pass or Band Pass Plus.Up to 256 patterns can be created and stored to the internal memory. You can combine patterns, add mute data and knob movements to create up to 64 songs. To get you started, a wide assortment of patterns covering house, hip-hop, R&B, electronica, drum'n'bass, techno, trance and more come preloaded - 196 in the ELECTRIBE MX. Using the last step function, you can easily adjust to any odd meter. Favorite patterns can be assigned to Pattern Sets for instant access. Data can be quickly saved and loaded via SmartMedia.Audio inputs allow you to process external signals through the on-board filter and effects, and an extra pair of assignable outputs has been added as well. The front panel knobs and switches control all the most important sound parameters, allowing you to modify the sound in realtime as you perform, and giving you a hands-on feel like that of an analog synthesizer.
Click here for more information about Korg EMX1 Electribe MX Music Production Station
0 comments:
Post a Comment